Nothing like a last-minute entry into the Valentine’s Day dessert recipe category!
Everyone knows that chocolate is an aphrodisiac…this recipe featuring cacao and chia seeds is also packed with antioxidants, magnesium, fiber, and omega-3s, making it good for your heart, as well! How appropriate for this day of love!
This time, I wanted to experiment with making a dessert with no added refined sugars, and I think I succeeded!
I used unsweetened coconut milk as the base, and heated that up with 2 chopped dates, to soften them. I added cacao powder, vanilla, and sea salt to the mix.
I blended until the mix was smooth, and then transferred to a bowl and mixed in the chia seeds.
This part is important: Make sure the bowl has a leak-proof lid! (Unlike me…haha.) Then, give it a good shake and put it in the fridge to chill and thicken. Give it a thorough stir every half hour or so.
Chill for at least 2 hours, but you can make this ahead of time and leave it in the fridge overnight.
I tried to make a non-dairy whipped cream to go on top, but that was an epic failure! I’ll keep working on that!
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Chia Pudding
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Combine the coconut milk and dates in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until milk is warm (but not boiling), and dates are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the cacao powder, vanilla, and salt.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the liquid in a bowl with an airtight lid and add the chia seeds. Shake thoroughly to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring every half hour or so until thickened.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.